[kwlug-disc] Vulnerability in bash

Fernando Duran liberosec at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 26 10:53:18 EDT 2014

The issue with the Bash bug is its big attack surface, which is a fancy way of saying "it can be in a lot of (unsuspected) places", unlike say Heartbleed which was limited to one (very popular) protocol implementation. At least is easy to fix (for now).

So we may have exploits for other network services besides web server + CGI (see https://www.trustedsec.com/september-2014/shellshock-dhcp-rce-proof-concept/ for DHCP ex), random boxes acting as routers/gateways (it doesn't even have to be Linux) etc.

(PS is my shitty yahoo mail double-posting my messages?)

Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com