[kwlug-disc] NSS Vulnerability

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Thu Sep 25 19:20:19 EDT 2014

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 18:57:26 -0400, Keefer Rourke <keefer.rourke at gmail.com> said:

> I honestly appreciate the fuss though. If the media freaks out, at
> least people will know about it and maybe consider updating their
> systems more frequently.

The problem is that if the general public gets overloaded with
information about vulnerabilities, they'll get confused and won't know
what to do about it all.

It's fine for the technical press to be freaking out about bash, because
that's who it affects, but the general press should be freaking out more
about NSS, because NSS affects pretty much everyone.  As it is, right
now, everyone is talking about bash, and hardly anyone is talking about
NSS.

For example, I don't understand why people care about bash on MacOS X
being vulnerable.  It's true that it needs to be fixed, but it doesn't
affect 99% of the Mac users out there, because they don't run any
publicly available services that would be affected.