[kwlug-disc] USB 2.0 vs. 3.0 on Linux

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Sep 22 20:16:06 EDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 7:59 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> - What kind of test?

Copying around 100GB worth of files, most of them multi-gigabyte in size,
from one disk to the other. Using rsync, while the files do not exist on
the target

rsync -av /mnt/disk1/ /mnt/disk2

> - Sequential, random?

Sequential.

> - DC or USB powered?

USB powered. Both disks are portable (one Toshiba Canvio, the other Seagate
Expansion.

> - Intel, AMD? -- Intel 3Gbps chipset is better than AMD 6Gbps.

This is an AMD machine.

> You see the difference under heavy load, like 4 VMs in

Hyper-V as I'm doing now.

Bare metal in my case, no virtualization, and no other load on the machine.

Seems there is a partial answer here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2039427/how-fast-is-usb-3-0-really-.html

Spinning disks can only do 114MB/s (7200 RPM that is). SSDs can do 200 MB/s.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.