[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Sep 3 15:09:25 EDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Didn't these guys learn from the Java security debacle?

The Java people did not learn anything. It is common practice in the Java
world to bundle everything in what you distribute with your app.

There is no concept of dependency management, nor security updates.

Case in point from the Drupal world, Apache Solr. It is a Java application
for indexing random stuff and searching it really fast. It is used in
Drupal as a faster solution over the built search module that uses SQL
queries.

The latest version of Solr bundles no less than 127 different .jar files of
various libraries! Some of this is testing stuff, but 106 are non-Solr
libraries/archives.

They don't see that as a problem. They see that as something that works and
does not need to be fixed at all. It Just Works!

Also: "I am an application developer and cannot trust that the end user
> will have every library I need. So I will provide libraries with my app and
> never update them, because updating is hard."

See above. They don't see that as a problem at all.

Now, we have Linux people who see this as a methodology to be emulated ...
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.