[kwlug-disc] FYI -- Windows Server killed my Linux RAID

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Wed Sep 3 05:48:08 EDT 2014

FYI...

I wanted to try Hyper-V on Windows Server 2012 R2 (and Windows 8.1).
>From my reading, Hyper-V is like VirtualBox, Microsoft style.  My take
is that Microsoft is using it to bait people to Windows 8.1 and 2012.

Anyways, I downloaded evaluation ISO, burned it to DVD (why DVD and not
USB stick is another story), booted from USB dvd drive, installed
Windows Server into a separate harddisk (/dev/sdk), opted in Hyper-V
role, and played with some test VMs.  All went well.

Now, when I booted back to Linux, I found my RAID is dead.

Windows created 128MB type 0C01 partition on the same harddisk
(/dev/sdk1), and also on all my RAID disks.  Investigation will have to
wait until after my RAID is rebuilt.

Moral of the story:
    - install Windows on a separate machine
or
    - have a backup where Windows can't touch
--
William