[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 20 10:56:59 EST 2014

On 2014-11-20 10:31, Hubert Chathi wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 23:35:40 -0500, Ralph Janke <txwikinger at ubuntu.com>
> said:
>
>> I am not sure, but I think what I was somewhat hinting about was the
>> paradox in it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_paradox
>
> There is no paradox in the recent GR results, at least as far as that
> Wikipedia page describes the paradox.  The Condorcet method gave as a
> very nice, clear ordering of the options with no ties or cycles.  But
> I'd like to know if there are any other concerns about the effects of
> the voting method on the result.

The problem is that the options while they may be interpreted
as independent, are not really that. So what is not included in
the vote is the strength of the conviction for or against an option.

Ranking is not always adequate. While i.e. I might prefer Option 1,
but would also accept Option 2, but don't want Option 3 or 4, I
seem not be able to express that.

That's why I tried to find a way to add the votes for Option 1 and 2
in some way together. It was clear to me that simple adding would not
work in this system, but my argument was more on the lines that the
difference
between Option 4 and Option 1 was very small, and the contextual
closeness
of Option 1 and Option 2 should be able to overcome that.

In his voting system, this is not possible and in IMHO therefore, the
question and options were not given in an unbiased way (not matter if
it was intentional or unwittingly) and hence presents the limit of such
votes.

That was all I wanted to say, sorry if I was not clear enough, I was not
criticizing the voting system itself, but more the usage thereof, and
trying
to indicate that democracy is mostly a very flawed process, even if it
is
deemed the best available one.

-tx

--