[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 19 15:26:06 EST 2014

I think one big issue (like with lots of things in Democracy) is the
way the vote has been set up. Besides, that it does not make sense that
all
4 options pass majority, ... Option 1 and 2 (Mandatory / Recommended not
require one init system) should be seen in context, so if I read the
numbers
right, Option 1 & Option 2 together had more votes than option 4 (no GR
required)

I also think the problem is democracy in governance, since it is about
popularity
and requires participation. Out of 1066 possible voters, only 622
ballots where
received and only 458 (< 50%) where unique voters. And this are only
Debian
Developers, not even Debian Users.

There are certainly arguments for and against if the vote should be
broadened
to the public at large or users, however, it would be nice to have at
least a
non-binding additional vote from that pool to see the differences if
they exist.

It seems interesting that one of the argument in particular in GPL are
user rights,
however, in turn the distros are less interested in the opinion of the
users.
So if the argument is, that it is a doocracy, than my question would be
why is
such a vote needed anyway. In this case, it can just be done and the
users decide
what they choose from different alternatives. This is still possible.
Systemd as
default or not. The real question is, if it can be easily replaced by
the users with
something else. Should all the packages interacting with the init system
(and this
are a low percentage as only software that need background processes do
this) have
alternative configurations that work with different init systems then
there is
not a big problem. This can be achieved by adding patches inside Debian
if the
upstream packages do not include them in the first place.

Quite frankly, I see this whole debate (about the GR) a lot of hot air.
Surely,
it would be nice if at least option 2 would have been adopted, but I do
not see
why people make drastic decisions because of the result of the vote.
And, as I
understand it, the resignations have far more to do with the problems
based on
governance and its processes in general than with the issues around
systemd.

I can understand that. I have changed my focus to developing FLOSS
software rather
than being too much involved in distros because it is just far too
frustrating, and
time-consuming without real productivity.

So, the way I see it, it will still be possible to run Debian without
systemd, and
if that should change, it is easily possible, to create a Debian-based
Distro that
focuses only on those parts that allow systemd to be removed, and
otherwise sync
everything from Debian, or, if not calling it distro, just provides a
PPA or a
collection of packages that do that.

- Just my non-existing 2 cents

-tx