[kwlug-disc] More news on ownCloud

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Nov 7 18:06:13 EST 2014

Of course, it isn't just ownCloud. Nobody knows how many other vulnerable packages exist in Universe where the packagers have abandoned the software and the developers haven't taken the responsible step of requesting its removal.

This article seems particularly biased against ownCloud.  It neglects to mention that the only supported repository is the SUSE build servers (which is what I demonstrated in my presentation), and that other people took it upon themselves to package it for Ubuntu and then failed to maintain it.

--Bob.

CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com> wrote:
>http://www.pcworld.com/article/2845072/ubuntu-owncloud-and-a-hidden-dark-side-of-linux-software-repositories.html

 =====
The version of ownCloud in Ubuntu’s Universe repositories is old and full of “multiple critical security vulnerabilities.” It’s no secret. The ownCloud project itself asked Ubuntu to remove it so users wouldn’t have vulnerable server software. Ubuntu suggested to ownCloud they should take over maintaining it instead. OwnCloud thought that was ridiculous—they just want to write software and not maintain it in every distribution’s repositories.
======