[kwlug-disc] CRTC report on TV subscriptions

Jason Locklin jalockli at uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 15 22:26:12 EDT 2014

There are a heck of a lot of people who are content with the couple of
channels for local news and children's programming that they get with their
crappy, plasticized, indoor antennas. Obviously, Rogers and Bell don't
really care about that segment, as they are never going to pay the big
bucks for subscriptions, so are free to marginalize them. CBC reporters, on
the other hand, are both shooting themselves in the foot by equating
cable/satelite with "conventional" broadcasting, as well as undermining
their own mandate.

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> I suspect OTA long ago ceased to be conventional. I doubt that it ever
> will be again. Just look at Khalid's recent gyrations over
> location/elevation. The majority aren't interested in so much work /
> non-turnkey solutions. In this age of hundreds of channels, which will
> never all be deliverable via OTA, OTA will remain an inconsequential bit
> player.
>
> Not odd, normal - Wired. The point is the shift between (wired, [and
> satellite?]) models of vendor delivery. Full stop.
>
> People can rail against this, but all they're doing is marginalizing
> themselves.
>

> On 14-05-15 07:41 PM, Jason Locklin wrote:
>
>> Of course CBC, as always, oblivious that some of us "cord cutters" are
>> using OTA broadcasts to compliment that online streaming. Always seems odd
>> when they talk about cancelled cable/satellite subscriptions amounting to
>> people turning away from conventional *broadcasters*.
>>

>> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Cord cutting is getting some media attention ...
>>>
>>> "That's the first time that number has ever decreased, and a possible
>>> hint that the so-called practice of "cord-cutting" — which holds that
>>> consumers are starting to turn away from conventional broadcasters in
>>> favour of online streaming services such as Netflix"

>>> shrink-slightly-in-2013-1.2644214

_
Jason