[kwlug-disc] Website hosting

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 18:13:44 EDT 2014

Linode definitely seems like a good option for you, it's a bit more than
what you're currently paying, but VPS is way better than shared hosting
IMHO and a lot less work than hosting it yourself.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM, CrankyOldBugger <
> crankyoldbugger at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just went through all the statements (luckily they were online) and
>> figured that I'm paying around $200US per site per year, so around $17US
>> per month per site.
>>

> So, Linode $20 would be a good idea financially only if you can put both
> sites on one Linode. That leaves the administration part.
>
> Did you look into Wordpress.com hosting? You don't need to deal with the
> Linux part of it at all.
>
> One other criteria that I need to consider is how easy it would be for any
>> one of my users to access their email at the charity site.  Right now I
>> haven't issued email addresses to the other organizers simply because the
>> getmail program on this site is not at all user friendly.  So any new host
>> (if I find one) would have to have webmail that older users could
>> understand.
>>

> The advice I can offer is that you do not offer email to anyone. It is way
> more headache than it is worth it, with all the spam, DMARC, SPF, ...etc.
> Some of their emails will not reach intended recipients, and they will
> complain to you and you cannot do much.
>
> Better farm out the email (e.g. to Google Apps, which has a free tier), or
> ask them to get free email from Google or someone. There are some who would
> not like that because Google is USian, NSA, ...etc. but remember that email
> has at least two parties: sender and receiver. And you can't control where
> the receiver is hosting, nor what they do with the email.
> --
> Khalid M. Baheyeldin
> 2bits.com, Inc.
> Fast Reliable Drupal
> Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. --  Edsger W.Dijkstra
> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --   Leonardo da Vinci
> For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
> wrong." -- H.L. Mencken

Charles McColm, Author: Instant XBMC,
Columnist: Full Circle Magazine,
Project Manager: The Working Centre Computer Recycling Project
Web: http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux