[kwlug-disc] Website hosting

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jun 10 15:09:27 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:57 PM, CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I currently run two websites that are hosted on myhosting.com.  One is
> for a charity I help out and the other is my own blog.  Everytime I see the
> charges on my Visa bill I wonder if there's a cheaper solution. I pay for
> both my own site and the charity's, so any cost savings would be
> appreciated.

It says $40 a month per site. So are you paying $80 a month for two sites
or using one instance to host both sites?

Do any of you guys use a hosting service and if so, which one and are they
> any good?

I use Linode, and highly recommend them. They start at $20 a month, and
depending on your sites traffic, one instance may be able to handle both
sites.

My only real requirements are Wordpress capable (i.e. both sites are
> predominantly Wordpress generated) and a few email accounts.  I don't need
> anything too fancy.

Did you look into wordpress.com? They have a free tier. Perhaps that would
be enough for your needs.

> I know somebody in this mail list is going to suggest that I host these
> myself but I'm not sure if I'm technically savvy enough to do this.  If you
> can loan me a copy of "web hosting for dummies" maybe I could look into
> it...
>
> Please let me know your thoughts on this!

How good are you with general Linux sysadmin tasks?

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.