[kwlug-disc] Cable internet providers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 4 22:15:14 EDT 2014

Good to know.

Cranky - yes please, if you hear stuff, please let us know. Because you
have to cancel Rogers before engaging the replacement, once you pull the
trigger it all becomes a craps shoot.

You can order a second cable internet service over the same cable, but
there are additional charges, and acanac (I think) said they would do it
but when I went and ordered, said they wouldn't. (So I never got around
to switching, and learned of vmedia later. Still have yet to get around
to switching.)

Agreed on the same horror stories, which are by far the vast majority of
complaints in Acanac forums. Once it's up and going it seems to stay up
and going, almost no complaints. (Until some Rogers or 3rd party twit
comes along and cuts the cable somewhere between you and the box, when
it all goes to heck again.)

i.e. The problem is not so much a company, but the inevitable complexity
of having to go through Rogers, and the very poor service Rogers appears
to give them.

The problem is exacerbated with acanac, per forums, for lack of staff
and timely getting back to people (in the middle of internet outages) /
long hold times - if you can get a human at all.

 From what I saw of vmedia reports, MUCH better support response.

The installation issues seem to be common and universal across Rogers
resellers - can't much beat up on one over the other, except as above.
They are hampered by only being allowed to book stuff with Rogers
electronically, and Rogers gets back to them within 2 days, not 2
minutes. Making anyone getting back to you in a timely manner
problematic - e.g. being home for install person.

If you already have cable internet, a technician is not supposed to be
needed, and much of this nonsense is never on the table for you. Except
when Rogers comes and disconnects you - even though you have internet
through them via a third party. So it's recommended one gets their
heinie out there toute de suit a slap a TPIA tag around the cable.
(They'll put their own / a proper one there ... eventually. If they
don't disconnect it on you first.)

Support: When you need them, you need them NOW, when you don't you don't
need them at all.

IPTV: Since internet is internet, I expect the lag is in the box they
use, not the service. Certainly I noticed it in store, but I suspect
it's something that one gets used to. From what I could see, no worse
than my brother's Bell satellite service. i.e. Managed expectations.

- you don't need their box to take advantage of any other 'normal'
public internet tv service, but you do need their box for their TV
service. (Customer support said their channel providers would only let
them do cloud PVR if such storage stayed on their servers. e.g. Not a
local TV box.)