[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Mon Jul 21 17:50:26 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-21 16:33, unsolicited wrote:
> I bought a desktop, with a keyboard, for a reason! [ EDIT ] . I use a
> hardware keyboard for a reason! I type - stop making me move my hands
> from the keyboard where I am speedily productive!

Agree!

Back when there really were Ms in the world of IBM, the company did a
lot of studies with the productivity sides of the machines, the M in IBM
- for those who may be younger than others.

Included in these studies were the keyboard layout, e.g. QWERTY vs
others but that is another story.

More to the point the physical keys, the distance between, the shape of,
the vertical travel, the tactile feedback were all studied, measured,
evaluated and implemented to varying degrees in different products.

Moving away from the 3270 and 5250 coaxial terminals IBM introduced the
IBM PC.
And the IBM PC came with a productivity oriented keyboard.

There is marked difference between the keyboards that came with the
original IBM PC as compared with the keyboards that came with its
competitors.

While not exactly keyboards of the vintage that came with the original
IBM PC, I am using IBM branded keyboards on the two desktop PCs I use
regularly.
In fact, I am typing this note with one of these IBM branded keyboards.

I am not an IBM fan fan boy nor am I a touch typist.
I do recognize and prefer a "good" keyboard when I use one.

/rant