[kwlug-disc] IP addresses and gateways--my google-fu seems to be lacking

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 13:18:13 EST 2014

I was using an Ethernet-over-power device until a couple days ago when
one end of it burned out.  I am trying to configure my old netbook to
connect wirelessly to the downstairs router (easy) and share the
internet connection with the network of computers in my bedroom.
Whenever I attach the network cable to the system I lose the internet.
 I can ping the ip address of both sides of the "router" computer, but
nothing beyond that.  I am using static ip addresses for the inner
network in the 192.168.10 range, and the wireless address is
192.168.1.65 assigned dynamically from the wireless router downstairs.

I am wondering what gateway address I need to assign to the lan-side
eth0.  I have followed the instructions on several sites about
configuring iptables.  It seems like the netbook is losing the
internet when I have two interfaces active, even tho only one has an
internet connection.

Brent