[kwlug-disc] [kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: OpenWRT

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Aug 14 11:26:13 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Paul Gallaway <paul at gallaway.ca> wrote:

> The TP Link WDR4300 device Khalid recommended
> (well, one of the ones in his table) is also currently on-sale at
> Canada computers for $60.

That one is very similar to my DLink DIR-835, but with 8MB flash instead of
16MB, and making up for it by having 2 USB ports not just one like mine.

A good buy.

> So I went from willing to spend ~$300 for what would have been absolutely
> overkill device (WRT1900ac) to spending just over $100 for what's probably
> a better overall solution.

Saw the APC BackUPS on Dell's site yesterday for $45 after a $10 off.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Power_Surge/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=A3724397&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Just curious how much was the gigabit hub?

For the record, Barrier Breaker RC3 installed no problem on this version
> 1.7 device. The wiki indicates that LuCI needs to be installed separately
> (for BB RC2) but I have not found that to be the case.

If you ever do sysupgrade, please post a followup on the steps you did
(sysupgrade of a xxx-sysupgrade.bin file, installing packages via opkg
again).

I am deferring doing the upgrade until a stable release comes out .

I hadn't heard of Engenius before yesterday and I couldn't
> find any information regarding the coverage range with the internal
> antennas and given that there's a good chance this device will be placed in
> my basement, external antennas are a plus if they give me an edge for
> range/coverage.
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/engenius/esr1750

My DLink DIR-835 is in the basement (very close to the roof, as high as it
can get), and the first floor above it gets good coverage. The coverage in
the 2nd floor is not as good but still acceptable. This is on Wireless N
2.4GHz.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.