[kwlug-disc] Refurb laptops & monitors - Eco-Tech Recycling?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 23 12:46:43 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 11:43:31AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> I see a number of refurb laptops, computers, and monitors, at
> http://www.eco-techrecycling.com/refurbs.php (Found via kijiji
> search.)
>
> Anyone with any comments on the offerings?

I have a soft spot for the Lenovo T60s and T61s. Several years ago we
purchased some new at work and they have been reliable (and heavily
used). We recently had some donated, and are in the process of making
these laptops our main staff laptops throughout the organization.

If you are wanting to run Windows on these you will want to make sure
that the Certificate of Authority (COA) is genuine.

I have successfully loaded Xubuntu 12.04 on one of these. I do not
recall there being any problems getting the wireless or video working
(but I do not remember for certain).

We have experienced a few problems with the laptops: firstly, the
power adaptors have a bad habit of fraying near the barrel connector.
Genuine Lenovo replacements are expensive. We purchased some cheapo
replacements here, but I do not have a lot of confidence that they
will last a long time:

http://www.battdepot.com/ca/model/notebook+adapter/ibm/thinkpad+t61p/ac20v90%20-%2016%20tip.aspx

The other problem is not unique to these Lenovos. The batteries
eventually die and need to be replaced (but it has taken several years
of regular use for this to happen). Replacement batteries are still
available.

As general advice, I think the best upgrade anybody can get for one of
these laptops is an SSD. The difference in speed feels dramatic.

I do not know whether a Core 2 Duo is "powerful enough". We tend to
use older equipment here. Our experience with Core i5 desktops has
shown us that they are much faster than the Core 2 Duo stuff, but we
don't have the budget to purchase a lot of new hardware.

I feel antipathy towards HP laptops, but maybe I just get bad laptops.
I have had problems with the power connectors getting loose, and with
systematic heat distribution problems.

I have had good success with Dells, but I like the Lenovo laptops
more.

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org