[kwlug-disc] Linux on Windows 8 laptops with UEFI

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Apr 9 15:51:14 EDT 2014

A followup on this thread.

I had to replace a PC that is running Linux exclusively, with a new one.

The new one had UEFI and Windows 8.

For this PC, I don't need Windows at all, so I just inserted the Ubuntu
Server 12.04.4 LTS DVD and did a normal install from it, changed the UEFI
to boot from the DVD, and all went smoothly. Nothing special at all.

The only difference from old BIOS PCs is that there is a partition that is
mounted at /boot/efi and contains a directory named EFI with a directory
named ubuntu under that.

So, as mentioned in this thread before, nothing much if you have Linux on
its own.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.