[kwlug-disc] Google Hangouts (now?) a Skype killer?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Sep 25 13:58:06 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> I see in Chrome (extension and app) that Hangouts can now call landlines.
> (A for fee service with Skype.)

Google does not commit to have that free forever.

Skype can call landlines (all of USA and Canada) for $2.99 a month.

Has Hangouts become a Skype killer?
> (Have never been able to install Skype on my 64-bit Kubuntu 12.04 LTS - it
> wants to add a zillion i386 packages / remove a bunch of current ones.

I had this issue ever since I upgraded from 10.04 to 12.04. I am on
Kubuntu, and 64 bit as well.

But I was able to get it to work.

The solution was ridiculously simple: use *apt-get install skype* instead
of aptitude. Worked on the first try!

I am not defending Skype at all, being MSFT and because MSFT reroute all
traffic through their servers, possibly for NSA snooping.

Hangouts is a good option too overall.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.