[kwlug-disc] CAT6 - worthwhile?

John Kerr johneddie.kerr at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 11:26:28 EDT 2013

My current router at work is rated at 56mb. I just purchased a new  router
rated up to 300mbps. Great except the Internet comes in at 25mbps.

I have purchased a new wireless printer as well.
So I bought the new router so that any printing jobs will be done faster.
Am I in my right mind on this?

To me it is the last 50 feet that are important. Will there soon be a
wireless Internet service that will give us the speed that our routers are
capable of?

Cheers

John

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 2:30 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> OK, but my real basic question is, to what end?
>
> Gigabit has even now not permeated enough of the world. (Why any laptop
> still comes with 10/100 is beyond me). Even my USB 3.0 / gigabit adapter
> can't saturate the gigabit.
>
> Future proof for what (copper wise)?
>
> If the world is going tablets and phones - that's wifi, not copper. Even
> if you have copper and an AP at each room for wi-fi devices to connect to,
> no amount of devices on that wi-fi will ever saturate the gigabit - wi-fi
> will never be that fast. (?)
>
> Home wise, I'm not prepared to even put out for multi-run bonding - the
> equipment required at each end is extraordinarily expensive (for home). I
> don't imagine it's any different for 10Gps CAT6 ethernet, let alone fibre.
> And if it's fibre we get to, the copper run, 5e or 6, isn't going to be
> useful.
>
> So if most things can't saturate gigabit now, and fibre is going to need
> another run anyways if we get there ... future proof for what (sorts of
> beasties / media)?
>
> I'm not objecting to 6 over 5e, I just wonder ... for what?
> - especially given the more expensive equipment required at each switch
> point, and the tighter bend and untwist limits for 6. I'd bet every home 6
> installation breaks at each jack / switch / 5e device<->jack cable.
>
> If you've bent a cable, what, more than 30 degrees, or untwisted a pair,
> or untwisted pairs more than 1/2 inch - you've just made using cat 6
> pointless.
>

> So my real question was ... what's coming that might need 6 over 5e?
>
> In house HD video distribution?
>

> On 13-10-25 04:57 PM, John Van Ostrand wrote:
>
>> Personally I think any new installation should use Cat 6. It's only
>> marginally more expensive than 5e but could future-proof your house a
>> little more. That said 5e will perform very well in a house since runs
>> tend
>> to be short and will work in cases where Cat 6 is supposedly required. The
>> way I look at it is that the time spend installing is the the most
>> expensive cost (even when done yourself) so using a higher grade cable
>> future-proofs so you can avoid pulling everything out and re-doing cable.
>> Sometimes I'll use 5e jacks because those are easier to replace.
>>
> .
> .
> .

Every child born increases by one the group of people Sir Winston Churchill
called the "so many", who owe so much to the group he called the "so few".