[kwlug-disc] mount changes mount point (dir) permissions to root, root - how to affect?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Nov 25 16:22:47 EST 2013

If I mount something from the command line (win share at this point),
the owner/group on the dir, e.g. /mnt/here, change from what was set, to
root/root, and a non-root user can't get past it (I think), to the files
below it. (I say I think because I can set owner/group however I want,
but since it goes to root/root, and I'm not root at use point, "a
non-root user can't get past it (I think)"

What (prep) do I need to set before mounting so instead of root/root it
stays something useful, like root/users. (Yes, that assumes users and
permission are set up reasonably.)

Also, chown after mounting is ineffective - permission denied, even as root.

I'm missing some element, and Google fu not working for me here -
suggestions?

e.g.

Before: drwxrwsr-x  2 me   users ... x
  After: drwxrwx--x  1 root root  ... x

I'd be ok with this, if but the group were still users.

To contrast, mkdir and touch (as root) result in:

drwxrwsr-x  2 root users ... newdir/
-rw-rw-r--  1 root users ... newfile

Note: Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but a lot of non-answers searching
google, burying what I'm looking for.
- there is no fstab entry, nor do I wish there to be, for this one off.
Therefore I have to be root to mount anything.
- the mount options are not germane, they apply to the files under the
mountpoint (which are fine), not to the mountpoint itself.
- not interested in alternate solutions, e.g. gvfs, nor mounting
anywhere other than under /mnt. Looking to find out what basic fact I'm
missing about mounting this way.

umask doesn't seem to be in play. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

There is no umask equivalent for directories - such stem from umask.
[Not that that is even germane, here.]  (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

Setting 777 on the  directory, before mount, is ok? (Not that it gets me
anywhere.) Since mount options set file permissions for stuff under the
mountpoint? [Except, I would have thought o+x would let me traverse it
to the point where those mount option file permissions would take effect
- at this point, I can't even get (read) to the mount point in konqueror
as the user.]