[kwlug-disc] New projector

Charles McColm charlesm at theworkingcentre.org
Thu Nov 7 09:52:47 EST 2013

Oh I don't think age had much to do with it, I'm only mid 40s and I remember how expensive those cards were (and I look sadly upon the fact that we recycle them sometimes in Computer Recycling). Still remember my first PC, it was an 8088 clone running a NEC V20 chip at a whopping 10MHz (no Linux there). I don't recall the motherboard manufacturer but remember that it had 640kb RAM and a 42MB hard drive (which seemed very big at the time). When I later jumped a generation and bought a 386 with 2MB RAM I tried running a multi-line bulletin board system using DesqView for the task switching, but whenever someone would call in on one line, the other would crash (I needed more RAM). Eventually I got things straightened out when I bought a 486 with 16MB RAM and OS/2 to do the multi-line processing, but by that time the Internet was making a mark and fewer people were calling BBS's.

Cheers,

Charles McColm, cr at theworkingcentre.org
http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/
Desk Phone: 519-743-1151 x121