[kwlug-disc] ASUS RT-N16 router.

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Mar 12 17:41:08 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Chamunks Arkturus <chamunks at gmail.com>wrote:

> Anyone had any complaints or compliments to give to this router?  I'm
> curious as its apparently ddwrt supported and I'm looking to find a more up
> to date thing to reccomend to people as a standard baseline for routers as
> the WRT-54GL's are a bit outdated now.
>

>From reading the ddwrt wiki[1], and the newegg page[2], I'm lead to believe
it is fairly well supported. You should be pretty safe.

As for other brands, I've got a Buffalo that actually shipped with DD-WRT
supported and in the box (though you have to opt-in to using it instead of
the "simple" firmware). I've also got an older NetGear whose stock firmware
was based on OpenWRT, but had a very limited web interface.

Since we actually have the option now, I recommend buying a router that
actually advertises support for ddwrt, or another open source firmware
versus one that is purely community supported. Not a criticism of the
community, but "voting with your wallet" is important. The Asus in question
might fit that bill. Personally, I've converted to Buffalo because their
build quality seems good, and they advertise "DD-WRT" on the box, saving me
the time of having to do wiki searches on my phone.

1. http://www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16#Installation_Instructions

2. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320038

--
Chris Irwin