[kwlug-disc] printers ... wtf?

Chris Craig kwlug.org at ciotog.net
Mon Jul 22 20:33:22 EDT 2013

The drivers from Brother aren't going to solve the "can scan, but can't
print, or can print, but can't scan" problem. You have to get the device
management system to recognize it as both printer and scanner, which is
where the problem lies.

I've got the same model printing and scanning, I recall it was a real pain
in the ass. I think the following udev rule was what was needed (running
Slackware):

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-
multifunction.rules
ATTR{idVendor}=="04f9", ATTR{idProduct}=="0249", GROUP:="scanner",
OWNER:="lp", MODE:="0660", ENV{libsane_matched}:"yes"