[kwlug-disc] OT: Hotmail/Yahoo account breakins

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Feb 14 21:32:51 EST 2013

Worth forwarding all accounts to your trusted / preferred server, where
you can use your (sandboxed?) trusted e-mail client / browser/e-mail
combo? (Isn't gmail supposed to have some pretty good malware detection
behind it?)

In that client you could set up connections so even these go out on the
associated (yahoo/hotmail/gmail) smtp server, but at least you're
receiving everything via your one trusted self / internet conduit.

gmail will let you send out as whomever you want (after a verification
process), albeit the headers will reveal it came via a gmail smtp.
Presumably most, most of the time, won't care. IIRC, even such messages
routed out via gmail don't show your gmail address, just the
yahoo/hotmail/whatever one, even though it went out via a gmail smtp server.

Something else not mentioned thus far: only read e-mail in plain text.
Switching to non-plain text on a per message, judicious, basis.

(Perhaps it is HTML e-mail itself that created these holes / problems
for the world, in the first place.)

I'm guessing from Paul's original message he can't prevent his users
from using servers other than his own, within which he could establish a
sanitizer - clamav?