[kwlug-disc] OT: Hotmail/Yahoo account breakins

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Feb 13 21:13:02 EST 2013

I have no proof (or, in fact, any evidence at all), but I suspect it has
something to do with poor implementations of OAuth or other distributed
login mechanisms. F'rinstance, those non-Facebook sites that encourage
you to log in with your Facebook ID, or in your particular example,
logging in to non-Yahoo sites with your Yahoo login ID.

There have also been examples of being able to access others' mailboxes
by URL munging sessionID parameters.  There's a lovely how-to at
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/32545/Exploring-Session-in-ASP-Net#40

There are also known Cross-Site Scripting attacks that can steal session
cookies and IDs if the browser is already logged into Yahoo:
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/11/yahoo-email-stealing-exploit-fetches-700/

--Bob.

SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413