[kwlug-disc] XML / XSL / XSD/ XSLT 'development' 'environment' / 'gui'?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Dec 8 19:19:42 EST 2013

On 13-12-08 10:48 AM, John Johnson wrote:
> While I am sure you will anyway, I would like to ask that you keep
> the list informed as to your findings, recommendations,
> non-recommendations, blind alleys, etc.
>
> As I assume many others have been doing, I have been following the
> discussion for my own purposes as my employer and partners are
> increasingly using XML.
>
> Which means that, at some point, work and support for the same will
> fall into my lap.
>
> PS: Other IDEs include: Eclipse and Aptana (no idea as to whether any
> support XML etc.)

http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/w/page/71224042/3rd%20Party%20Tools

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/5371/ToDoList-6-8-2-Feature-Release-An-effective-and-fl

Runs under wine.

If you can get wine going at all.

(I've reported my 64-bit Kubuntu 12.04 issues on this in the past. Seems
it was solved by uninstalling wireshark - dependency stupidities within
the i386 packages.)

- although the general GUI seems to run just fine under wine, there
is/was at least one bug in using stylesheets that I have yet to be able
to pursue. (Need to know what success looks like [under Windows] to know
what to report back to the author as broken. At least the author is
interested in what might be broken under wine.) There are other
non-broken ways to run stylesheets - definitely netbeans [if it weren't
broken] and quite probably xmlstproc, for all I know.

Bear in mind I wouldn't call this (thread) 'using xml' - the app
uses xml, and I'm looking for a GUI way to produce decent printed
output from it. It'd be different if I were producing the app myself,
and munging xml along the way.

Thanks to Kahlid, I've seen Netbeans IDE run a stylesheet / proven as a
viable non-GUI stylesheet development mechanism - if it weren't broken.
7.0.1 won't load the file (encoding issue?), and 7.4 injects a bad meta
tag, ending it in > instead of />, causing the browser to fall over
without displaying anything.

Likeliest answer is iReports (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ireport)
or Jaspersoft Studio (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jasperstudio) -
haven't been able to make the former work yet [data source issue under
windows, netbeans plugin under Linux which I haven't mastered yet], and
the latter is too brutally slow for me on my wee little windows laptop.

At least I'm starting to run more into my lack of understanding of 'XML'
than in my lack of finding an app / environment in which to work. I
expect to be visiting w3schools a lot - http://www.w3schools.com/

Eclipse seems to be a common term so may be something for you to get
comfortable with. More than I'm interested in pursuing, myself, at the
moment.

Unless asked, I don't expect to continue to repeatedly bombard this
Linux list about the Windows program. I've no doubt most have had quite
enough already.