[kwlug-disc] Hardware Horsepower, zoneminder 1IP+2USB - new / refurb?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Aug 24 17:57:35 EDT 2013

We are considering firing up zoneminder (1 IP cam, possibly 2 USB cams)
as an all but dedicated laptop. (Things have to be put away when the
program is not running.)

- bear in mind there will be an occasional need to extract / process
images (which is in essence video editing) during this time. e.g. Have
zoneminder make an .avi of a few consecutive events, then open up that
.avi and trim it, etc. Then dump off to disc (CD or DVD) to give to the
police.

Seems to me I've seen that a reasonable minimum hardware requirement for
that sort of thing is an i5. Anything less gets too poky to be
reasonably usable in production.

Any time in the last few years I've looked at new vs. refurb / used, the
prices haven't been that different, and at least new gives you a warranty.

I've also come across http://www.eco-techrecycling.com/refurbs.php, and
the 'value laptop system' prices ($250-$300) for the core 2 duo 2.00 GHz
systems seem attractive (but what do I know), and sufficiently powerful.

Anyone have any comments on the pricing / power of these units?