[kwlug-disc] Fw: Internet Democracy Café - Next Wednesday, September 26!

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Sep 19 18:11:18 EDT 2012

I am not sure how I ended up on this panel, but apparently I am
participating. I suppose you can come and heckle.

- Paul

----- Forwarded message from Alisa McClurg <alisa.mcclurg at sympatico.ca> -----

When: Next Wednesday, September 26 (7-9:30 pm)!
Where: Queen Street Commons - 43 Queen St. S., Kitchener (map)
What:  There will be a short panel followed by conversation café involving the audience. With this event, we want to connect people, and resources to launch an ongoing process to ask:
What about the Internet is demanding attention and care from us all? - To raise our awareness together among the widest possible demographic of the crucial role of the Internet in the lives and well-being of all of us as citizens of local, national, and global communities.What's going on with it? - To understand together more about where and how this Internet world is moving, changing, and being potentially constricted.What can we do now? - To create pathways of continuing dialogue, information & expertise exchange, and leading-edge cross-sectoral responsiveness in order to support the future of a democratic Internet and  access to a shared citizen-driven knowledge base for everyone.Specific areas of focus could include, but are not limited to: Internet-related legislation (e.g. Bill C-11, Lawful Access Act) and trade agreements (e.g. Trans-Pacific Partnership), Internet connectivity issues, Internet information filtering and sharing bans, and Internet information storage and control matters.
Who: The following four panelists will be speaking:
James Howe, who has been the driving force behind the Social Media Breakfast in Waterloo RegionAlisa McClurg, from TransitionKW, who is interested in the linkages between Internet democracy and resiliencyPaul Nijjar, from The Working Centre, who has worked on Internet connectivity issuesKirk Zurell, proponent of the "Robot's Rules of Order" and the "Digital House"Jean Robertson, a highly experienced community organizer from the Upstart Collaboratory for Collaborative Culture Designing, has kindly offered to facilitate.
How to Attend: FREE community event, no registration is required. However, if you can RSVP at http://on.fb.me/OtciK6 .
More Details: Visit http://www.transitionkw.ca/InternetDemocracy. Also check us out on Facebook at http://on.fb.me/OtciK6 or follow Twitter at #internetdemocracy.

We hope this has peaked people's interest and that we will see many people there! If individuals are interested but cannot attend, they can drop us a line at createinternetdemocracy at gmail.com so we can continue the conversation elsewhere.

Sincerely,

Alisa McClurg
TransitionKW Ambassador & General Promoter
http://www.transitionkw.ca

----- End forwarded message -----

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org