[kwlug-disc] Sub-$100 HDMI monitors/TVs

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Nov 26 14:36:24 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) <
aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:

> DVI shouldn't be an issue for you. DVI and HDMI are actually the same
> protocol running over different connectors.

This is true for video, but falling back to using a DVI adapter will
require you to get sound using other means (3.5mm audio cable). This might
not be a big deal if you're using a PC monitor (monitors don't typically
have speakers, anyway). But it might matter if you buy a low-end TV that
has DVI but doesn't have a secondary audio input (these do exist. My wife
has one).