[kwlug-disc] OT - EyeSurf

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed May 23 11:40:41 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:03:07PM -0400, Oksana Goertzen wrote:

> Sorry to bother everyone again with this question but my parents are
> looking for an ISP and I've sort of settled on either TekSavvy or Eyesurf.
> The main issue is that they make a fair number of long distance calls and
> it seems like Eyesurf might be the better deal.  Is anyone using them, and
> if so - are you happy with their service?  Do you need an ATA for telephone
> service?  Otherwise I think we'll go with TekSavvy and maybe voip.ms for
> Unlimitel/Sprint for VOIP phone service.

We are using Eyesurf for commercial service, and I have experience
with at least one person who is using their residential service.

In my experience Randy at Eyesurf has been very responsive to my
support requests. Unfortunately, we are learning that several things
that we thought would have been available with respect to rollovers
are not in fact supported.

The POTS line seems to be mostly okay. However, the residential user I
am in contact with makes long distance phone calls every day, and she
reports some call quality issues (garbled speech, for example). The
setup there is complicated, though (a wireless phone going to POTS
with a cellphone on the other side), so we have not isolated the
problem. Our commercial service POTS line has seemed pretty reliable,
and people have used that for long distance calls.

The residential user also experiences dropouts in Internet service at
certain times of the day, but again we have not diagnosed this, and
this may just be scaremongering. But I do want to point out that our
experiences with Eyesurf have not been as flawless as others have
enjoyed.

Overall I think that if you get good speeds then Eyesurf looks to be
okay for residential use. We have never used Teksavvy and thus have no
basis for comparison. I really like the idea of supporting an ISP that
is neither Bell nor Rogers, and our experiences with Eyesurf have
been better than that of Yak.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org