[kwlug-disc] OT: Dumb VoIP questions

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 23 12:45:16 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 07:09:09AM -0700, William Park wrote:
> >Dumb Question 1: How does VoIP work over Rogers? Do they throttle or
>
> >do other badness to third party VoIP traffic?
>
> I had Rogers Home Phone and currently have Teksavvy Tektalk.  Both
> are VoIP.  We haven't noticed anything strange.

I am sure that Rogers Home Phone will work fine on the Rogers network.
The question is whether 3rd party VoIP will work.

I assume you switched ISPs to Teksavvy when you signed up for Tektalk?

> >Dumb Question 2: I have a POTS line and a VoIP line, using voip.ms . I
> >set the Caller ID of the VoIP line to the POTS line. Do I need to sign
> >up for E911 service on the VoIP line now? I signed up using the VoIP
> >number, but when I tested the connection by dialing 1-555-555-0911 I
> >was told that the test failed because the number (which was the Caller
> >ID number) was not in the database. So I am confused.
>

> I don't have POTS line.  With cable, Rogers specifically charged me for
> 911 service, and Tektalk includes 911 with the package.  But, I don't
> now how to test 911 without actually calling 911. :-)

Yeah. I don't know whether this 1-555-555-0911 is a voip.ms thing only
or what. The Internet seems to associate that number only with voip.ms
.

- Paul

http://pnijjar.freeshell.org