[kwlug-disc] Read Linux Disks from Windows???

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Fri Mar 23 12:18:16 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:43, Tudor Holton <tudor at tudorholton.com> wrote:
> There is an ext2 dll implementation but it's unstable AFAIK.  It doesn't fit
> well with Windows' way of thinking about files.
> http://www.askvg.com/how-to-access-linux-partitions-ext2-ext3-from-windows-in-dual-boot-system/

I have used both Explore2fs and ext2ifs with success. I have not used
either on Vista or 7, however.

Also, this was preceding common use of ext4 file systems, so I can't
comment to support of ext4 (but Joe said ext2/3 specifically).

> Much better to install Wubi.
> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

Another similar option is using a VM and USB passthrough (ex: I do it
with VMware Player on Windows. Possibly virtualbox with oracle
extensions will do it as well). You don't even need to install
anything:

1. Run VMware player
2. Boot the VM from your Ubuntu install media
3. Pass through USB disk to the VM
4. Send data over "network" to your Windows host, via whatever means
is most convenient.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>