[kwlug-disc] Android data backups

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 25 12:48:10 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 04:46:55PM -0400, Chris Frey wrote:

> I don't appreciate this locking fetish that manufacturers and
> providers have.  The very fact that even Android devices have to be
> rooted is perplexing.  It makes no sense to me, trying to claim to
> be open, yet locked up like a citadel.  It's a cesspool of tar pits,
> treating the customer like a slave.  It is certainly no
> encouragement to spend money just to be treated this way.

I do not like this trend but I think I get it. There are two
motivating factors that I see:

0. A locked device gives the carrier greater control over the content
that the end-user sees, which is good business sense.

1. As a partial smokescreen, locking a device means that users don't
inadvertantly give root access to malware and other baddies. From our
experiences working with Computer Recycling repairs, it becomes
obvious why this is a motivation for mobile device makers.

I also have to disagree with Chris Irwin's suggestion that he counts
as five consumers because he does tech support for his family. That
might be the case for him, but I don't think that it is that common
even amongst geeks. More often than not the family members in
question come to us with devices (or iDevices) they have already
bought, and then it is our job to support them or face social
ostracization.

If geek preferences actually made a difference, then we would have
seen a lot more Linux desktops in use. But notwithstanding the
experiences of people on this list who are going to flood me with
their counter examples, this has not been the case.

- Paul

http://pnijjar.freeshell.org