[kwlug-disc] Android data backups

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jul 12 17:15:19 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A question for the Android folks: what is the usual method used to backup
> your Android data via USB or Bluetooth to your local computer?  Assume
> that you have no internet access, and no access to the cloud.
>
> Thanks!
> - Chris

Though I never used it, adb from the Android SDK is supposed to provide
that:

  adb backup [-f <file>] [-apk|-noapk] [-shared|-noshared] [-all]
[-system|-nosystem] [<packages...>]
                               - write an archive of the device's data to
<file>.

        If no -f option is supplied then the data is written
        to "backup.ab" in the current directory.
        (-apk|-noapk enable/disable backup of the .apks themselves
        in the archive; the default is noapk.)
        (-shared|-noshared enable/disable backup of the device's
        shared storage / SD card contents
        (-all means to back up all installed applications)
        (-system|-nosystem toggles whether -all automatically
        includes system applications; the default is to include system apps)
        (<packages...> is the list of applications to be backed up.  If
        the -all or -shared flags are passed, then the package
        list is optional.  Applications explicitly given on the
        command line will be included even if -nosystem would
        ordinarily cause them to be omitted.)

  adb restore <file>  - restore device contents from the <file> backup
archive

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.