[kwlug-disc] OT: Another voip.ms troubleshooting question

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Aug 28 09:17:13 EDT 2012

On 08/27/2012 03:18 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> Cable is broadband, so there are multiple channels on a single cable.
> One channel for your plain old Internet, another channel for their
> proprietary VOIP, and 500 channels of stuff on the TV to choose from.

But, IIRC, one modem. So multiple channels is in some sense a red
herring, here.

And you're mixing 'channels' here.

In the end, all data, VoIP, internet, TV, is multiplexed together at the
modem, going across the cable line as data. Call it the data pipe, as
that's all it is. Modems are (today) multi-channel (as in cable data
pipe channels) aware. This is why the cable change to 50Mbps service
(read, equipment updated at Roger's end) required customers to change
modems to take advantage of the higher speeds. Not that they were
offered 50Mbps, but the new modems (typically DOCSIS 3) are
multi-channel capable (or, at least, going from using 2 channels, to
capable of using 4 or 6. The latest recommended modem does 8, but
Roger's currently doesn't bond that many. As of the last time I looked,
a few months back.)

Modems, DTA (Digital Terminal Adapters), and I suspect VoIP (ATA) boxes,
are merely analog to digital (and vice versa) converters (modems) from
the cable signal to IP, and, particularly, DHCP recipients based upon
MAC address. Digital TV is just another form of internet service,
dedicated to your TV. (Receiving all TV channels via 1 data channel,
between Roger's and your DTA.) VoIP will be the same.

I apologize, I know I'm contradicting myself here, and confusing things,
but in the end, one box (cable modem / internet, DTA / TV, Home Phone
'Home Phone Terminal' / ata?), per service, are modems (using multiple
data channels across the cable wire) / dhcp endpoints, using a single
channel (in the end user's perception), although multiple TV channels
are available across that 1 data channel. [IIRC, the reason for the
delay in changing channels is telling the Rogers end to switch tv (IP
Data) streams being sent to you - unlike analog which sends all channels
all the time for your tv to pay attention to or not, digital only sends
the broadcast you're tuned to at the moment.] Somewhere above is also
why you must have one DTA box per TV.

=====
 From -
http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?No=100&_nfpb=true&Ntt=home%20phone&_pageLabel=search&N=14:
How is this different from Voice Over IP (VOIP) telephone services?
-----
Will network maintenance to other Rogers services such as Digital Cable
or Rogers Hi-Speed Internet affect my telephone service as well?

Rogers Home Phone uses the same physical cable as your other services.
However, the data and services will be routed through a dedicated,
monitored network. Our Network Engineering team carefully plans each
maintenance event to ensure that activity to upgrade and improve one
service does not impact other services. For example, when maintenance is
performed on Rogers Digital Cable Network, it rarely impacts Hi-Speed
service.
-----
Rogers Home Phone service does not require or use the public Internet as
VOIP services do. This difference ensures that potential slow-downs that
occur as a result of load and other factors on the Internet do not affect
Rogers Home Phone. Using a state-of-the art, managed, dedicated network,
Rogers Home Phone service provides our customers with high-quality,
robust telephone services. Rogers Home Phone service is not VOIP. Rogers
Home Phone service is delivered over the Rogers privately owned and
monitored secure packet cable network that is NOT accessible to the
general public, unlike VOIP services that run over the public internet.
=====

So, as I've said elsewhere, it's VoIP, just over a private subnet.

Confirmed in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Telecom.

I can't seem to dig up any home phone ('RHP') wiring diagrams, but I do
see that they only rent the equipment, and an installer must come to
your home to set it up. And there is a battery, so they are also 'UPS'es.

AFAIK, each such box takes a cable connector in. Rogers splits your
cable, one line off to each box. (Also giving them the ability to charge
you for a second TV outlet, DTA box, plus ...)

> P-O-I will eventually get routed to the Toronto interchange, but I
> speculate that the 500 channels get provisioned locally (so you end up
> with different TV channel assignments in KW than you do in Hamilton).
> And I speculate that the proprietary VOIP gets linked the telephone
> system at one of the local Bell exchanges.

True on the TV side. But ... it's all just data. Likely multicast from
Rogers central to the regional distribution centers. When you tune to a
channel, they add you to that multicast. (Granted a 'sub-' or 're-'
multicast?)

I'm not / wouldn't be too sure about the local phone interconnects.

If you're doing long distance, particularly to other countries, that may
make little sense. If you're calling another Roger's home phone or cell
number, it wouldn't make sense to route the traffic outside your own
internal (Rogers) networks if they're just going to come back in after
transiting a 3rd party. I'll bet different distribution paths are
individually optimized. e.g. I suspect when internal lines are
saturated, long distance calls to BC will go out over Bell microwave for
some portion of the transit.

I've no doubt it's all very complex. IIUC most phone lines are digital
(at least once it hits the C.O. / and probably some form akin to IP) -
it's all just data, routing, and distribution.

VoIP coming over the cable into my home that I'm already paying internet
fees for, then trying to have me pay even more for the same cable and
bandwidth, let alone at a price premium for the same old same old. Yet
if I put a competitor on it it has to travel through the artificially
limited current (internet) service where it does not get 'advantaged' by
not being disadvantaged (rate limited / shaped).

Bah!

Personally, I'll not reward Rogers by paying more for what I already
have. I won't get dedicated bandwidth, and lower call quality as a
result, but at least what I do pay in addition will be competitively priced.

YMMV.

I must say, give my own recent experience learning to live with Linux,
I've come to appreciate why some will pay more (for Windows or Mac) for
fire and forget. I've no doubt the same is true for Roger's VoIP vs
others. For the non-technically interested, paying more for peace of
mind and simplicity is obviously attractive, given the success of the
service offerings.

Also, given this thread and the internet searching I've been doing
because of it ... I can't say as I've noticed any evening internet speed
slowdowns in some while. IIRC, Rogers was making network improvements
all over the place, hitting K-W some number of months ago.

> On 12-08-27 01:31 PM, unsolicited wrote:
>>

>> On 08/27/2012 11:34 AM, Charles M wrote:
>>> I think what Jason is pointing out is that Rogers doesn't run their VOIP
>>> service over the same line they run all the other cable traffic.
>>
>> (I assume) of course they must. There's only one line going into my
>> home. They're not going to split out my cable to separate lines at one
>> point, then double wire back to their main internet backbone points. And
>> they probably don't have all required telco interconnects at each
>> Roger's distribution point. (e.g. Grand Crest Place, in Kitchener.) I
>> expect they route all voice to Front St. and telco interconnect there.
>> Especially for international calls. Much cheaper to use your own AT&T
>> U.S. interconnect at Front St. than pay Bell (especially if you're
>> Rogers) to do so on your behalf. It's not like they'd lay another fibre
>> between here and T.O. just to carry VoIP.
>>
>> It's all just IP. Carrying voice. Thus VoIP. All else is marketing
>> babble, with Rogers artificially limiting the bandwidth I get to use
>> over my wire with paid internet service, then crying poor that those
>> nasty pirate video downloaders are sucking up all our precious bandwidth.
>>
>> Hogwash.
>>
>>> Can they
>>> shape it? Sure they can and they likely do some QoS over it and may well
>>> share it with other Rogers VOIP customers. I believe what Jason is
>>> getting
>>> at is that they appear not to allow other non-VOIP traffic on that cable
>>> line.
>>
>> Course they do, it's all one modem into my home, be it voip, internet,
>> or both. (Not speaking from experience. Could be two modems, but that
>> doesn't make a lot of sense, and as I recall from looking at the wiring
>> diagrams a few years back.)
>>
>>> We had Rogers home phone service for several years and didn't have
>>> some of
>>> the problems we've had going with a different VOIP solution (calling
>>> cards,
>>> etc.). Not being a fan of Rogers we switched almost all our services