[kwlug-disc] Switch between monitors

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Apr 5 18:06:50 EDT 2012

On 4/5/2012 2:14 PM, Chris Irwin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 12:15, unsolicited<unsolicited at swiz.ca>  wrote:
>> http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_554&item_id=031431
>>
>> Get one today! Astonishing! (Note, not for games, etc.)
>>
>> 3 monitors on my wee little Asus Eee PC 1201n.
>> (For some reason, thermal event frequency has increased, though) :P
>
> I've considered it, but how well supported is it?

As I remember it, I plugged it in, and it just worked.
(Probably not remembering that very well. Probably had do go into xrandr
once, or maybe nvidia-settings.)

This is Kubuntu.

Sorry, this was long ago.

> From some brief
> research [1], it looks like displaylink devices require configuration
> in xorg.conf, which I find silly

Perhaps not so silly - not so sure they were expecting usb video
devices, early on. (Think 1.0.)

.
.
.

> Furthermore, I found this on the Arch Linux wiki[2], which may cause
> issues for my nvidia-based laptop.

Um, 1201 -> N <- ... (N)vidia ION.
{Sorry, I guess I didn't exactly make that clear that it was Nvidia.}

(-:

Actually, thinking back ... it wasn't there (the 1201N) I first ran it,
but it would have been an Nvidia card at the time.

I guess YMMV.

Bring your lappy to OOTC (http://kwootc.ca/) some Friday night between 6
- 8 and you can give it a whirl. (Coming Friday, or next, only - sorry,
season ending.) Might want to bring a monitor too - I think there's a
14" vga spare still floating around there, but not sure. Ask for Bill,
from / via parking lot kitchen door. Heck, come have a free meal too!
http://g.co/maps/a43g9 [Let me know so I remember to bring the wee beastie.]