[kwlug-disc] Switch between monitors

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Apr 5 12:11:39 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:19, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:
> I was
> half-way considering making a housing to hold 8 HDMI connectors, and
> trying to find a few small ~15cm HDMI cables to manually patch (like
> an old telephone operator), and using my KVM only for USB switching.

Typing this out made me look up if I can source the pieces. There are
probably better sources (monoprice is a pain to import iirc):

* Make a box out of wood, or find an aesthetically-pleasing box elsewhere
* Mount a bunch of 6-port keystone plates [1] in it in pairs. ex: one
panel for video inputs, one panel for video outputs. Allows 6 in, 6
out.
* Fill two of the plates with 12 HDMI jacks [2].
* Fill two of the plates with 12 USB3.0 jacks [3]. Could save money
with USB 2.0, but why not plan ahead?
* Fill two of the plates with 12 3.5mm stereo audio jacks. Couldn't
find these on monoprice.
* Maybe throw in some TOSLINK jacks [4] as well? Although HDMI could
just as well carry the audio.

* Grab six 12-inch HDMI cables [5] for use as patches.
* Same for 3.5-inch audio cables, TOSLINK cables, and USB cables.

Label inputs with label maker.

1. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10517&cs_id=1051703&p_id=6733&seq=1&format=2
2. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10426&cs_id=1042609&p_id=6852&seq=1&format=2
3. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10426&cs_id=1042607&p_id=7836&seq=1&format=1