[kwlug-disc] WIND is in K-W?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Sep 23 17:01:10 EDT 2011

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 09/23/2011 11:58 AM:
>      >From what I can see, quite a few of the WIND handsets are
>     multiband, that is they support AWS(1700 MHz) as well as
>     1900/1800/900/850 MHz.
>
> The rest of the world had 900/1800, then the USA/Canada went for
> 850/1900, so quad band handsets emerged. I used phones that I purchased
> here in Egypt, and they worked.
>
> Good to see that additional bands are being included, and perhaps become
> the norm, so frequency is not an issue.

It has been a LONG time, decade(s) even (I think), since I have seen a
phone that didn't have all 4 frequencies, in this area.

The consensus seems to be is that it should work - an unlocked WIND
device with a Rogers SIM card.

I read, perhaps into, Bob's earlier comment that data over cell
in a non-WIND area on a WIND handset won't go as fast as it would in a
WIND area. Wind using a later, and faster, data technology (AWS). (So,
buying a WIND handset for primary use in a non-WIND area, data speed
wise, is fairly pointless, vis a vis the same handset from your
preferred carrier of the area where you expect to typically use the
device.) Although, perhaps, a (WIND) AWS device future proofs oneself?