[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 11.10

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 21:40:45 EDT 2011

I find your statement quite broad. I agree that there are not too many configuration tools, but that's by design. Like it or hate it. This means that it may not be for you. (It certainly does not seem to be for me) but you can always replace the Desktop manager. A Linux is a Linux is a Linux.

What I can tell you is that they are trying to make the interface consistent. Which is a long way from the eclectic interfaces in Mandriva. (e.g. graphical update tools that present the status in text form, not two tools looking alike and an organization that feels quite random). But then, It is clear that Mandriva is not for me. Not even replacing window managers asmy main complains are with the Mandriva specific utilities, not with the window manager. It feels like a distribution created by hobbyist (which is great) not by a company. Remember, they even managed to screw up the look and feel of KDE4.

In My experience working with all kinds of users, the majority of people prefer finding the same thing in the same place in different applications than configuring their graphical environment. And, while I find the Unity interface quite paternalistic, I understand Canonical's motivation.

And by the way, Workspaces by default show 4 workspaces when you click it. You can also switch workspaces with Ctrl+Alt+Arrow.

So, yes, quite limited in the configurability. but fairly consistent interface.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx