[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 11.04 and LAMP :: Problems w/ MySQL access over 'net

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sat May 14 01:45:56 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-14 01:19, John Johnson wrote:
> On 2011-05-14 00:33, unsolicited wrote:
>
> < ... snip ... >
>
>>> http://<real ip address>/etc does indeed work w/caveats
>>> a) on the Linux box: the ip address is that of my subnet behind the
>>> router, i.e. 192.168.0.102
>>> b) on the Win box: (w/HTTP 500 error): the ip adrress is the 'real
>>> world' ip address
>>
>> For b), you use the same numbers. You cannot browse the www, your own
>> www server, from within your own network. You cannot go out and come
>> back in on the same interface.
>
> < ... snip ... >
>
> I do go out to the www on the Win box. And back in to the Linux box.
>
> And all is OK. (more or less)
> index.html is seen and rendered
> a website using html/css is accessed and rendered (in the browser on
> the Win box)
> a php file is accessed and executed ( on the Linux box ) and rendered
> (in the browser on the Win box)
> And all is OK. (more or less) ...
> ... except when MySQL code is in a php file ... 500 error

Whether the ip is www or internal the result is the same:

On the Win box:
http://192.168.0.102/testing/index.php
w/no MySQL code execs & renders OK

On the Win box:
http://209.213.253.28/testing/index.php
w/no MySQL code execs & renders OK

Apache/php is working on the Linux box and is coming through to the
browser on the Win box.

With index.php replaced with mysqltest.php in both of the above: 500 error.

JohnJ