[kwlug-disc] Meeting with (not so new) MPs in KW region.

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sat May 7 09:34:36 EDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 09:00 -0400, Kyle Spaans wrote:
> 2011/5/6 L.D. Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>:
> > I am aiming at a more fundamental problem.  Is it necessary for the
> > government to specify the system on which I play back my legally
> > purchased (licensed) media?
>
> This is where I'm worried that a lobbyist/politiker who knows more
> legalese will trip me up. When we buy a copy of a work of art

Agreed.  I find it useful to understand the (holes in the) arguments of
the other side in this kind of debate.  For example, this fellow appears
to have positioned himself as the anti-Geist:

http://www.barrysookman.com/2010/11/24/tpms-and-flexibility-%E2%80%
9Cthe-ability-of-bending-without-breaking%E2%80%9D-%E2%80%
93-why-the-new-attack-against-the-tpm-provisions-of-bill-c-32-has-failed-again/

Ridiculous url notwithstanding, can we counter such arguments?  I have a
problem with proof by eminent authority (Dr. Ficsor said I was
right...), but I guess that is how legal debates work.