[kwlug-disc] VOIP and DirectDetect

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu May 5 15:54:57 EDT 2011

Raul Suarez wrote, On 05/05/2011 11:21 AM:
> From: Jason Locklin <locklin.jason at gmail.com>
>> Sorry for the somewhat off-topic rant, but I just can't believe
>> how much of a hassle this has been and I thought the VOIP people
>> here might be interested in how difficult the city is making VOIP
>> for some residents.
>

> One important consideration is that VoIP only works if there is
> electricity. If a fire starts because an electric fault, you may
> end up without a phone.

That is true regardless. What if the fire first initially melts the
device. This is a non-starter argument.

> The Bell system (POTS) does not have that problem.

Of course it does.

> Given those circumstances, ensure that you have a functioning UPS
> dedicated to Internet and VoIP. Nothing else connected so the
> charge can last in case of an outage. lso ensure you check the
> battery capacity at least once a year.

He already says he does. And he probably has a cell.

> It may be that someone very smart found that changing the setting
> to pulse to avoid people making the wrong decision and regretting
> it later. This is a case where "buyers beware" may be too risky.

Don't get what you're saying here.

Especially 'smart' and 'wrong decision'.

> Another factor is that the internet connection is less reliable
> than the POTS. Are there any other such issues with VoIP?

How is that even an issue? The last mile is working, or it isn't.

In the meantime, someone's used their cell phone.