[kwlug-disc] netalyzr/ispgeeks interpreting [was: Re: Reliable Broadband speed test]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Mar 6 09:39:29 EST 2011

Kyle Spaans wrote, On 03/06/2011 2:42 AM:
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>> Anyone up to speed on what 'tor' (https://www.torproject.org/) is all about
>> / effective / whatever?
>
> What would you like to know? Maybe I'm missing something, but are you
> trying to think of using TOR for determining how good your internet
> connection for?

Yes, you're missing something - the subject line change?

> TOR is meant for giving you an anonymous connection to the internet,
> e.g. so that a website can't track you by your IP. It also means that
> your ISP can't track which websites you visit (not that I'm trying to
> imply that ISPs do this :P).

Yes, the former was somewhat self-evident from the link and description.

Any particular experience, or truth in advertising?

e.g. I have recently been coming across a lot of 'anonymous bit
torrent' offers. And, nearby, expositions on the fallacies of such claims.

caveat emptor is coming to mind, on all of this.