[kwlug-disc] Reliable Broadband speed test

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 21:34:14 EST 2011

I used to believe that all broadband speed tests were created equal.

A few minutes ago, it felt that my Internet connection was getting slower, so I
went to one of my trusted broadband test sites and it showed a very slow result,
then I went to another, and showed a surprisingly fast result, then yet another,
and showed a plausible speed.

Is there a more reliable way to test broadband speed?

http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/     First 2.3 Mbps, then 20 Mbps,
then 10 Mbps

http://www.whatismyip.com/tools/internet-speed-test.asp 10 Mbps, then 20 Mbps,
then let it rest and 10 Mbps again

http://speedtest.primus.ca/ Between 10 and 20 Mbps.

Could it be that Rogers is cheating and identifies traffic to test sites to
burst the transmission?

After the checks the performance improved. but is not constant, There seems a
lot of stuttering (fast, slow, fast) even while loading the same page.

So in the end, browsing feels sluggish even if the speed test says 20 Mbps.
 Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx