[kwlug-disc] Webserver hosting advice

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sat Jun 11 20:14:07 EDT 2011

On 2011-06-11 15:57, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> I got a request from some people for some advice on how to host a
> professional webserver. I think they are getting into a webhosting
> business, but I am not sure. They were thinking of hosting their
> servers from an office with a business internet connection (which has
> limited uplink capacity).
Something along these lines was tossed into the discussion I started
with my explorations in to LAMP.

While LAMP allows a Linux box to serve as a web-server it is not, if I
understand the advice given me at the time, suitable for use for serious
webhosting.

For my purposes I stayed with LAMP and was able to make my Linux box
accessible over the intertubes.
Incoming requested to my IP are mapped through my router, using port
forwarding, to the Linux box.
Right now, the Linux box  is being used for something else and is not
connected to the intertubes.

And that is where my LAMP project is right now, i.e. on hold.

BTW: Depending on their contract with their ISP and the "business
internet connection" the "some people" could run into trouble with
inbound traffic if it gets too high. My use of "inbound" is a misnomer
as the requests would be "inbound" but the requested website data would
be "outbound", i.e. running over the "limited uplink capacity".

jsquared