[kwlug-disc] Local ISP No Limits and No Usage Charges (Oksana Goertzen)

Eric Gerlach eric+kwlug at gerlach.ca
Thu Jun 9 15:13:40 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:14 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> Remind me please ... why switch from TekSavvy? Moved? UBB? Switched from
> Bell phone?

UBB + Throttling.

> They (actually, both) seem well regarded here. Curious, as I hope to switch
> off Rogers whenever I get around to moving, so I try to keep my ear to the
> ground with respect to ISPs. I'm too far from the C.O., in the mean time,
> though.
>
> I sent a couple questions off to TekSavvy not long ago, based on comments in
> this thread. AFAICT - they'd be ~$10/month cheaper than Rogers, but ~$100
> hit upon signup (admin fee + modem purchase).

Already had a modem, so that wasn't an issue for me.

> <<<<<
> 1. If you currently have TV cable service through Rogers, adding cable
> internet service through us will not affect it in anyway.
> 2. Currently we are subject to Rogers traffic shaping over their network.
> This applies to the network over all to avoid congestion. Saying that we are
> not aware of any specific traffic throttling such as torrents or P2P file
> sharing software at this time. We also do not block any ports for our
> service, even though Rogers blocks certain ports on their network.

Cable didn't exist here when I made the switch to EyeSurf.  They had
been promising it for 7 months and hadn't delivered.  Of course, 2
months after I switch they finally launch it.  I know it's more
Rogers' fault than TekSavvy, but I got tired of "Oh, it'll be in July,
no, September, no, December, oh, we don't know when it will be."

UBB was the last straw that made me switch.  I may switch back to
TekSavvy cable once I have a solid VoIP system running, but that's in
the future.

Cheers,

Eric