[kwlug-disc] Whats some good Sip providers.

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 23:22:58 EDT 2011

Here are some ideas:

First, don't rely on your data plan. Calling 100% over VoIP may eat it quite fast.  I think it only makes sense  if you have easy access to WiFi.

Setting up a VoIP account with VoIP.ms is a 10 minutes task. No Server to install on your side required.

I wrote this while playing with Asterisk but you don't even need to do that. just look at the bottom section that says "On the Android Phone"

http://kwlug.org/node/812

In a nutshell

On the http://voip.ms site
1. Create an account with voip.ms
2. Make a deposit of $25
3. Add a new DID
4. Add a new extension

On your Android phone
1. Install a SIP client (CSIPsimple for example)
2. Configure it with the voip.ms information including the extension id and password

Start calling.

If you want to try before committing, I can set up an extension for you to try so I just need to provide you with the android configuration information.

( I am in no way associated with voip.ms other than being a happy customer)

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx