[kwlug-disc] Google docs on android [was: zim wiki - android version / equivalent?]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jul 13 20:39:47 EDT 2011

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 07/13/2011 7:38 PM:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 7:34 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca
> <mailto:unsolicited at swiz.ca>> wrote:
>
>     I see Raul has nominated zim desktop wiki to the floss fund.
>
>     http://kwlug.org/node/826.
>
>     Is there an Android companion / equivalent / version / ???
>
>     Seems to me the reminders would be useful to carry around with you,
>     let alone the ability to take notes, wherever one happens to be at
>     the time. ('Bring home milk.')
>
>     Or would some other (Google?) app be preferred / better for this?
>
> Not a direct answers, but here goes ...
>
> Google has finally released a Google Documents app for Android, and it syncs
> your documents from phone to web automatically.
>
> Google Documents has sharing built in already.
>
> And Google Calendar already syncs with the calendar app on Android.
>
> I have not seen tasks synced yet, but would be surprised if it comes out
> soon.

 > So the pieces are there, with with Google's services.

Google tasks are not nor will ever be 'real'. a la Palm Datebk, iambic
Agendus, Palm's own tasks, etc. Which is why Palm PIM users have not
jumped whole heartedly upon google's 'suite', let alone before Android.

IIRC there are korganizer <-> gmail solutions, but for tasks, all are
kludges.

Assuming one trust google.

Is the same true of gmail, non-gmail e-mail, etc., off-line even?
(these days / android)

As for Zim, I guess, at that level, we're back into the multi-reminder
situations. Even if it ran on Android. If one uses zim that way.