[kwlug-disc] (Government) Electronic recycling program changed?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Jul 2 21:50:03 EDT 2011

I was in to Canada Computer tonight to drop off some electronic stuff
to go into their recycling bin.

They said they are no longer accepting material.

Apparently the government is still continuing to collect taxes as
required, which stores have to forward to the government, yet the
government is no longer refunding to the stores the cost charged to
them by the recycling firm to come in and pick up the material.

The gentlemen indicated this has hit many firms, but Best Buy, he
believes, is still accepting material for recycling.

As far as I know, the dump would charge for accepting the material for
recycling. This would seem to mean one gets charged -both- coming and
going. At purchase as a separate tax, and again when one actual goes
to dispose.

Anyone know anything about any of this, or recent changes?

Charles / Bob - is Computer Recycling also impacted in some way?