[kwlug-disc] [OT] linux server power

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Fri Jan 28 00:29:27 EST 2011

On 11-01-27 08:08 PM, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> OK, I slid the linux part in there :).
>
> My wife just brought in an electrician to tell us why our electricity
> costs at home are so high.  He came up with a bunch of different
> things, but one of the potential culprits are the two computers
> running in the basement.  One's an old Dell tower server that runs our
> Voip phones.  The other is a web/database/backup server running on an
> older HP workstation.
>

> A quick back of the napkin estimate from the electrician indicated the
> two machines might be costing me 30+ bucks a month in hydro alone.

Did this electrician use a simple Watt meter before making these napkin
calculations?   Unless these two computers have attached CRT's turned on
24/7, I would be *really* surprised if combined these are using more
than 150W, (3.6 KWh / day, * 30 = 108KWh)  Still worth reducing, of
course, but that should cost less than half than this $30 estimate.